Events and Activities


    COVID-19 Impacts

    in compliance with the Governor’s “Stay Home and Stay Healthy” order, the City of Olympia will not be permitting any festivals or events until further notice. Festival and Event Permit Applications will not be available or accepted until permitting reopens.

    Crowd watching juggler during Arts Walk in Downtown Olympia

    Events in and around Olympia

    Olympia and its surrounding communities are home many can't-miss attractions, activities, and events. Whether you want to celebrate the Arts with 10,000 of your closest friends, put your pets on parade, or just enjoy great music, shows and nightlife - there really is something for everyone. provides information about all of the great things to see and do in Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater and greater Thurston County.

    Arts Walk in Downtown Olympia

    Festival and event permits

    Permits are required for any outdoor community festival on City property or right-of-way. Events must be open for public attendance, free of charge, and sponsored by a non-profit or government organization. Applications are approved on a calendar year basis only. Please submit your application packet at least 60 days prior to your event to allow time for review, communication and logistical planning.

    Other types of events

    The Capitol Campus, Heritage Park/Capitol Lake, Marathon Park, Sylvester Park, and Deschutes Parkway are owned by the State of Washington. To hold an event at these locations you must get a permit from Washington State DES.

    Neighborhood Associations that are registered with the City may request street closure for a neighborhood picnic or other neighborhood-only social gathering. The City will provide barricades and/or cones for approved block parties.

    If you wish to reserve space in a City of Olympia park, at Percival Landing, or at The Olympia Center for an event or activity other than an outdoor community or festival event you must call the Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation Department at 360.753.8380.

    The City encourages open, advance communication about free speech activities. Please contact us prior to your event so that we can provide appropriate services and ensure public safety.

    Who to Contact

    For demonstrations on/at:

    • City Streets - Contact the Olympia Police Department at 360.753.8300
    • City Parks - Contact Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation at 360.753.8380
    • State Property - Contact Washington State DES at 360.902.8881


    Contact Kellie Purce Braseth at 360.753.8361 or