What is the water surcharge?
In 1969, Olympia established a water surcharge for customers who receive water and are outside the City limits (OMC 13.04.390). This surcharge was put in place to:
- Recover the higher costs associated with delivering water outside the City.
- Provide an incentive for annexation consistent with the Growth Management Act.
Eliminate your water surcharge
If you live in the Urban Growth Area (UGA) and pay a surcharge for water you are eligible for a reduction in your water bill. The Olympia municipal code allows for the elimination of this surcharge to property owners who sign an Agreement to Annex with the City of Olympia.
By signing the agreement, you will no longer have to pay the surcharge. This will affect the size of your bill, especially during the summer months with heavy water use. Here are some important facts to know about the agreement.
- The agreement must be signed and notarized by all property owners.
- Signing does not automatically make your property part of the City.
- Signing does allow the City Council to consider your annexation when growth and other factors warrant the inclusion of your property into the City.
Contact Utility Billing at 360.753.8340 or email@example.com.