Neighborhood Block Parties

Block party in Olympia neighborhood

What are block parties?

Block parties are small, neighborhood-only social gatherings that typically require the closure of a single block. The City provides barricades and/or cones for street closures related to approved block parties.

Recognized Neighborhood Associations (RNA) are automatically eligible to apply for block party street closures. Non-registered neighborhood associations, smaller residential areas and non-profits may also be approved.

If your event is open to the general public (not just your neighborhood) you will need to apply for an Event Permit.

Conditions & requirements

  • This type of street closure is not permitted for events that are open to the general public.
  • If the block party sponsor isn't with a Recognized Neighborhood Association, they must consult all residents, businesses and organizations whose access to their property will be affected by the street closure and submit a Neighborhood Consultation Form.
  • The location should not prevent the ordinary flow of traffic through the City. Choosing a quieter street in the neighborhood is recommended; arterials and neighborhood collector streets are generally not permitted for block party closures.
  • When planning the layout for the event, consider how emergency vehicles would travel the street if needed.
  • The City reserves the right to approve which street may be closed and the placement of barricades, tables, and other items in the street.

How to apply

  1. Submit an online application on the City's Permit Portal
  2. Submit a map showing the requested street closure points, and
  3. Download and submit a Neighborhood Consultation Form, if not in a RNA.

Allow a minimum of two weeks to process a block party street closure application and get approval. You will receive confirmation of your approval by email.


Contact Lydia Moorehead at or 360.570.3746