What is domestic partnership registration?
The City of Olympia's Domestic Partnership Registration program (OMC 2.82) is a means by which unmarried couples in committed ongoing family relationships may document their relationships. This recognizes the diversity of family configurations, including lesbian, gay and unmarried heterosexual couples (and their children), and unmarried elderly partners.
Domestic Partnership Registration is voluntary and does not create any new or different legal rights or responsibilities, or any contractual relationships or obligations between the registrants.
Under the definition provided by Olympia City Ordinances 5982 and 5988, domestic partners are two people:
- Who have a relationship of mutual support, caring and commitment, and
- Who share the same regular and permanent residence, and
- Who are both eighteen years of age or older, and
- Who are not married or related by blood in a manner that would bar their marriage in Washington State, and
- Who are each other's sole domestic partner.
How to register
- Complete this Domestic Partnership Registry application
- Sign the application (both partners) in the presence of a Notary Public.
- Return the notarized form, along with a $25 processing fee to:
City Clerk, DPR Program
PO Box 1967
Olympia, WA 98507
Upon receipt of your application form and fee payment, the City Clerk will mail to you, at the address listed on your application form, a certificate of registration.
Frequently asked questions
Do partners have to be residents of the City of Olympia to register?
Is Domestic Partnership Registration confidential?
No. The City of Olympia's Domestic Partnership Registration program is open to all persons who wish to participate, regardless of where they live.
What if we wish to terminate our Domestic Partnership Registration?
No. When an application for Domestic Partnership Registration is filed with the City Clerk's Office, it becomes a public record pursuant to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), Section 42.56. For questions on confidentiality issues, contact the Olympia City Clerk's Office at 360.753.8325 or email@example.com.
To terminate a Domestic Partnership Registration, complete this Domestic Partnership Registration termination form. At least one partner must sign the form and have the signature notarized. Signature and notarization of signature for the second partner is optional.
Mail or bring the completed form to the address above.