In-Custody Death Investigation Update

City of Olympia
Date of Release: February 29, 2016

Paul Lower
Public Information Officer

In-Custody Death Investigation Update

At about 2:30pm on Monday, February 29, 2016 Olympia Police officers were dispatched to the Intercity transit bus station at 222 State Ave. Intercity Transit employees reported a violent disturbance in progress.  While on route, police were informed that the disorderly man had assaulted several employees. One of the staff members had been punched, kicked, and bitten and medics were called.   When officers arrived, the man causing the disturbance had been subdued by transit staff.  Police officers hand-cuffed him and escorted him from the building.  While originally calm, the man again became agitated outside, spitting blood and kicking.  While officers tried to calm the man, a sergeant on scene noticed the man’s hands appeared pale and asked medics to evaluate him.  Medics, who were already on scene, examined him but did not find signs of physical distress.  A few minutes later, the sergeant again noticed the man looked ill and asked for a second evaluation by the medics.  When medics examined him again, they found the man in distress, not breathing.  Medics attempted life-saving efforts, but were unsuccessful.  The man died at the scene.

Five officers were involved in the incident and none sustained injury.  At this time, there is no indication that any firearm, Taser, pepper spray, or baton was used on the man.  All the officers have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.  The officers were:

  • Officer Rob Beckwell, 23 years of service
  • Officer Jonathan Leavitt, 2 years of service
  • Officer Ryan Donald, 4 years of service
  • Officer Javier Sola Del Vigo, 3 years of service
  • Sergeant Dan Duncan, 26 years of service

The identity of the man has not yet been released.

The Thurston County Critical Incident Team, led by the Lacey Police Department, is investigating this matter.  More information will be released tomorrow as it becomes available.  The CIT is asking that anyone who witnessed or has cell phone video of the incident, and who has not already spoken to an investigator, call 9-1-1 to be connected with a detective.