Festival & Event Permits

Arts Walk in Downtown Olympia

Festivals & Events

Permits are required for any outdoor community festival on City property or right-of-way. Events must be open for public attendance, free of charge, and sponsored by a non-profit or government organization.

Applications are approved on a calendar year basis only. Please submit your application packet at least 60 days prior to your event to allow time for review, communication and logistical planning.

To apply, complete an Event Permit Application and Safety & Evacuation Plan and return to Kellie Purce Braseth, Strategic Communications Director:

Via Email: kbraseth@ci.olympia.wa.us
By mail: PO Box 1967, Olympia, WA 98507
In Person: 601 4th Avenue E, Olympia, WA 98501

Carnival rides in front of Capitol dome during Lakefair

Events on State Property

The Capitol Campus, Heritage Park/Capitol Lake, Marathon Park, Sylvester Park, and Deschutes Parkway are owned by the State of Washington. To hold an event at these locations you must get a permit from Washington State DES.

Neighborhood Block Party

Neighborhood Block Parties

Neighborhood Associations that are registered with the City may request street closure for a neighborhood picnic or other neighborhood-only social gathering. The City will provide barricades and/or cones for approved block parties.

Birthday party at Harbor House on Percival Landing

Non-Festival Events at Olympia Parks

If you wish to reserve space in a City of Olympia park, at Percival Landing, or at The Olympia Center for an event or activity other than an outdoor community or festival event you must call the Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation Department at 360.753.8380.

Refugees Welcome sign at protest

Protests, Marches, and Demonstrations

The City encourages open, advance communication about free speech activities. Please contact us prior to your event so that we can provide appropriate services and ensure public safety.

For demonstrations on/at:

  • City Streets - Contact the Olympia Police Department at 360.753.8300
  • City Parks - Contact Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation at 360.753.8380
  • State Property - Contact Washington State DES at 360.902.8881


Contact Keilie Purce Braseth at 360.753.8361 or kbraseth@ci.olympia.wa.us