Fire Chief Recruitment Announcement
The City of Olympia, Washington, is seeking a Fire Chief to join a proud organization with a rich history of providing exceptional service and a tradition of excellence in serving the community. This is an exciting executive leadership opportunity to work in a dynamic, effective, and fun organization in one of the most scenic settings you will find anywhere. If you are interested in applying please see the brochure at Karras Consulting for details.
The Olympia Fire Department is an all-career department with 90 uniformed members 97 members’ total. The department deploys four engines, one ladder truck, two medic units and a battalion unit.
The engines and truck are staffed with two firefighters and an officer, while the medic units are staffed with two firefighter / paramedics. At minimum staffing, there is a full complement of 20 members on duty.
OFD covers approximately 25 square miles and in 2014, responded to 9483 calls for service.
Working for OFD
Firefighting is one of the most rewarding jobs on earth and the proudest tradition of Community Service. Fire Recruit is an entry level position leading toward a professional firefighting career. Upon successful completion of the Fire Academy, recruits are assigned to the Operations Division where they will, as part of a team, deliver quality customer service to the community.
Firefighters are involved in fire suppression operations. However, this is only one aspect of the job. The Olympia Fire Department also provides Emergency Medical Service (EMS). Eighty percent of the calls firefighters respond to are for emergency medical care. The calls include motor vehicle accidents, heart attacks, strokes, home accidents, and other medical and trauma related incidents.
Operations members work a 24 hour shift, 7:30am to 7:30 am, with 48 hours off. Firefighters normally work 8 shifts every 27 days, with one 24 hour Kelly Day off.
Other Responsibilities and Activities
- Emergency Preparedness
- Community Education
- Public Service Work
- Building Inspections
- Personal Development
- Station and Apparatus Maintenance
Firefighter Selection Process
Olympia Fire Department’s hiring process is governed by City of Olympia Civil Service Rules. The City uses a continuous testing process in partnership with Public Safety Testing.
Minimum qualifications for Entry Level Firefighter
- Applicants must apply and take the written exam and physical ability test through the Public Safety Testing website.
- Top scoring candidates are invited to a suitability assessment.
- Those who pass are invited to oral interviews.
- Oral interview and written exam scores are combined to rank candidates on the hiring register.
- Candidates on the register will be subject to a background investigation, chief’s interview, and psychological and medical exams.
- 18 years of age
- US Citizen
- High School Graduate or GED
- WA driver’s license if appointed
- Ability to read and speak the English language
- EMT certification within one year of appointment
Contact the Recruitment Officer at 360.753.8348 or firstname.lastname@example.org