2.5 Miles (Eastside Trailhead to Chehalis Western Trail)
1600 Eastside Street SE
- 10 Foot Wide Multi-Use Bicycle/Pedestrian Trail, ADA Accessible
- Parallel Crushed-Rock Trail
- Picnic Shelter/Restroom
- Over 12,000 Native Tree and Shrub Plantings
The main trailhead is at the intersection of Eastside Street and Wheeler Avenue. It has a parking lot, shelter/restroom and information about the trail system. Trailhead improvements are designed with sustainable design and green architecture features. Pedestrian and bicycle only trailheads are at Frederick Street, Boulevard Road and Dayton Avenue.
In 1990, Jim and Carol Rainwood envisioned the idea of converting an abandoned rail line into a paved trail connecting east and west Olympia and to link Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater and Thurston County. Jim and Carol also pioneered the formation of the Woodland Trail Greenway Association, formerly the East West Greenway Association, to assist the City of Olympia in fulfilling this vision. A Feasibility Study was completed in 1998, the Master Plan was completed in 1999, and land acquisition was completed in 2003. The first section of the trail opened for public use on August 7, 2007. The trail now extends from the main trailhead at the intersection of Eastside Street and Wheeler Avenue to the Chehalis Western Trail, 2.5 miles away.
In October 2017, Olympia City Council voted to change the name of the Olympia Woodland Trail to "Karen Fraser Woodland Trail" in honor of Senator Karen Fraser's contributions to the community. The City of Lacey also changed the name of the Lacey portion of the trail. Below are a few of Senator Fraser's accomplishments:
- Elected Lacey's first female major in 1976
- Served eight years as a Thurston County Commissioner
- Served four years as a State Representative
- Elected to the State Senate in 1993 and served until 2016
The Olympia Woodland Trail is fully accessible. The asphalt trail maintains a gentle slope of 3% or less. Signage encourages bicyclists to ride on the right and announce when passing on the left.