The City established the Committee on Diversity & Equity in 2015 to advocate and promote equality and diversity within the organization, and to celebrate and encourage diversity in the community.
Our goal is to raise public awareness of human rights issues through educational programs and activities, and to increase sensitivity to human rights issues throughout City government.
We work with partner organizations throughout the community to aid in developing training, events, and recommendations for changes to City ordinances or policies.
To recommend human-rights related changes to City ordinances, policies or practices please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. City employees may report issues directly to any committee member.
Our Committee Members
- Jay Burney, Assistant City Manager
- Ren Emerson-Beckman, Olympia Police Department
- Wally Noel, Olympia Police Department
- Shelby Nutter, Olympia Police Department
- Chandra Brady, Olympia Police Department
- Corey Johnson, Olympia Police Department
- Mike Buchanan, Olympia Fire Department
- Paul Simmons, Parks, Arts & Recreation
- Laura Keehan, Parks, Arts & Recreation
- Diane Whaley, Administrative Services
- Hyun Allister, Executive Office
- Daisy Curley, Public Works
- Olivia Salazar de Breaux, Public Works
Municipal Equality Index (MEI) Scorecard
The MEI examines the laws, policies, and services of municipalities and rates them on the basis of their inclusivity of LGBTQ people who live and work there. Each year, Olympia strives for a perfect score.
• View our MEI Scorecard
The Olympia Police Department partners with local businesses, schools and organizations to create safe locations for the reporting of hate crimes, harassment and discrimination.
• Learn more and find Safe Olympia locations
The City of Olympia is a fun and accepting workplace made up of a diverse group of caring and dedicated employees. Every day we work together to make a difference. Join our team today!
• View available Job Openings
We are proud to work with the organizations below to promote equality and diversity in our community? Want to add your group? Contact us at email@example.com.