What are Lifeline rates
The City of Olympia offers Lifeline (discounted) utility rates for customers who qualify. Lifeline rates are 50% of the standard utility rate for Water, Solid Waste, Sewer, and Stormwater. Once you qualify for the program, the Lifeline rate becomes effective on your next billing cycle.
This rate applies to residential customers only.
Who is eligible?
To qualify for Lifeline rates, you must be either:
- Low-income and disabled, or
- Low-income and over age 62
For the purpose of our Lifeline rate, low income is defined as 50% below the median family income for Thurston County.
(Updated May 2020)
Combined annual household income must be less than the amount listed below for the number of people per family:
- 1 person in the family; no more than $30,350 per year
- 2 people in the family; no more than $34,700 per year
- 3 people in the family; no more than $39,050 per year
- 4 people in the family; no more than $43,350 per year
How to apply
- Complete the Lifeline Rate Application (below)
- Provide proof of income with your application. A copy of your tax return for the preceding calendar year must be provided. For residents who do not file an IRS tax return, you must provide documentation of all income.
- Mail the completed application and all required materials to:
City of Olympia, Utility Billing
P.O. Box 1967
Olympia, WA 98507-1967
Contact Utility Billing 360.753.8340 or firstname.lastname@example.org