Zero Waste - Master Plan
Council adopted the Toward Zero Waste: Olympia's Waste ReSources Plan 2008 - 2013 on November 26, 2007.
Why a plan?
Olympia's Waste ReSources utility is responsible for ensuring that all the City's waste is properly managed, and is directly responsible for providing collection services for residential and commercial garbage, residential recyclables and residential yard debris. Toward Zero Waste: Olympia's Waste ReSources Plan 2008-2013 will guide the utility over the next six years in moving toward the City's ultimate vision of Zero Waste.
The Plan has been prepared by Waste ReSources staff, with direction from City Council, Land Use and Environmental Committee and input from three focus groups and the citizens' Utility Advisory Committee. Collections staff and many citizens also contributed their ideas and suggestions.
Review the plan online:
You can download our printer-friendly version of the plan below. You can also request a CD-Rom, by emailing us at email@example.com. Please allow 5 business days. Be sure to include your name and complete mailing address including zip code.
- Cover (220 kb)
- Table of Contents (99 kb)
- Summary (146 kb)
- Introduction (96 kb)
- Chapter 1 Planning for Zero Waste (298 kb)
- Chapter 2 Olympia's People and Their Waste (312 kb)
- Chapter 3 Legal and Policy Framework (121 kb)
- Chapter 4 Waste Management Programs and Facilities in Thurston County (485 kb)
- Chapter 5 Waste Management in Olympia (351 kb)
- Chapter 6 Plan Direction and Methodology (157 kb)
- Chapter 7 Waste Reduction (197 kb)
- Chapter 8 Increased Diversion of Recyclables and Compostables (361 kb)
- Chapter 9 Responsible Disposal (186 kb)
- Chapter 10 Resources and Funding (57 kb)
- References and Acknowledgments(87 kb)
- Appendix 1 Public Involvement - Focus Group Summary (55 kb)
- Appendix 2 Zero Waste Resolution (258 kb)
- Appendix 3 History of Solid Waste Management in Thurston County (62 kb)
- Appendix 4 Preliminary List of Potential Waste Reduction and Recycling Options (79 kb)
- Appendix 5 Recommended Strategies and Options (67 kb)
You may also view a hard copy of the plan at either the Olympia Timberland Library, located at 313 8th Avenue, SE, or the Lacey Timberland Library, located at 500 College Street, SE, Lacey.