Organics - Backyard Composting
Food Waste Composting - Learn about:
- Worm bins,
- Food digesters,
- Composting food scraps,
- Soil incorporation, and
- What food you can and cannot compost.
Yard Waste Composting - Learn about:
- Cold composting,
- Hot composting, and
- What yard waste you can and cannot compost.
Composting Program Information
- Organics - At the Curb: Have too much compost for your yard? Sign up for organics service at the curb to compost your food and yard debris.
- WATER WISE Gardening: Be a WATER WISE gardener as well as composting.
Composting Reading Resources
- Let it Rot, by Stu Campbell
- The Mulch Book, by Stu Campbell
- The Rodale Book of Composting, edited by Deborah Martin and Grace Gershuny
- Worms Eat My Garbage, by Mary Appelhoff
Composting Internet Resources
- Thurston County Solid Waste
- Gardening in Western Washington
- Washington State Recycling Association
- Home Composting
- Composting Council
Visit a Composting Demonstration Garden:
- Dirt Works, located on Alta Drive off Capital Mall Drive, behind Yauger Park and the Apple Park Apartments.
- Closed Loop Park, located off Hogum Bay Road at the Thurston County Waste & Recovery Center (Take Exit 111 north, off of I-5).
- The Farmer's Market, located downtown at the north end of Capitol Way.