E-Waste/Hazardous Waste


E-wasteElectronic waste, including TV's, computers (desktop, laptop, tablet), all types of monitors, portable DVD players and E-book readers CANNOT be thrown away as they introduce toxic material into the landfill.

How Can I Dispose of E-Waste?

Washington State's E-cycle program requires manufacturers to provide recycling services for the above listed items at no charge. Thurston County Solid Waste maintains a list of locations in our area.

Household Hazardous Waste

The average household contains more than 60 hazardous products including batteries, CFL bulbs, paints, fuels, automotive fluids and items containing mercury. Any item that is toxic, flammable, corrosive or reactive is hazardous and CANNOT be disposed of in your garbage.

How Can I Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

Thurston County's Hazo House offers a convenient way for residents and small businesses, to safely dispose of toxic products that cannot be sent to the landfill.

Safe Disposal of Medications

When managed improperly, unused or expired medications pose both public safety and environmental threats.

NEW! Recycle Fluorescent Lights

As of January 1, 2015, Washington State residents can recycle mercury-containing lights at no charge, by dropping them off at authorized collection sites. Categories of acceptable lights include:

  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Compact fluorescent lights (CFL's)
  • High-intensity discharge lights (HID's)

Learn more about the program.