WATER WISE - Garden Medallion
Get your medallion today!
Is your yard WATER WISE? Are you willing to pledge to incorporate more WATER WISE practices into your gardening behaviors?
Earning the WATER WISE medallion is simple:
- Identify the three WATER WISE actions you are currently doing.
- Select two new WATER WISE actions you promise to start doing.
- Complete and sign the pledge form.
- Drop off or mail your pledge form. Then install the medallion and be the envy of your neighborhood.
Rules and restrictions:
You must be a City of Olympia water customer and reside at the residence of service. Sorry, businesses are not eligible. Medallions are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Installation is not included. Download a printer-friendly copy of our complete medallion information including pledge information. Note: Medallion at left is not to scale; the medallion is made of metal and is 4" in diameter.
WATER WISE Actions and WATER WISE Promise:
Listed below are the WATER WISE actions needed to earn a medallion. You just need to identify three actions (from the complete list) that you are doing and then select two more actions that you will start doing. The list below is provided so that you can get more information. You must download our printer-friendly pledge form and apply for your medallion by mail, e-mail requests cannot be accepted as the form must be signed by the applicant.
WATER WISE ACTIONS
- Check plant types and care; consider drought tolerant or native plants in future plantings and replacements.
- Current landscaping has native plants.
- Current landscaping has drought tolerant plants.
- Have a rain garden.
WATER WISE watering actions
- Water no more than 1" per week. (Use the tuna can method.)
- Let your lawn go dormant in the summer.
- Be a leak detector. Check and fix leaks in hoses.
- Turn off unneeded sprinklers and make sure irrigation heads are not blocked by vegetation.
- Utilize soaker hoses or drip irrigation.
- Capture roof runoff in rain barrel.
- Water early morning or late in the evening.
WATER WISE soils actions
- Have soil tested for nutrient levels and deficiencies.
- Use organic or slow release fertilizers.
- Fertilize in the fall.
- Mulch around plants.
WATER WISE mowing actions
- Cut it high and let it lie. Did you know that by taking this action you will minimize weeds?
- Sharpened mower blades a few times during the mowing season for a clean cut.
- Use a mulch mower or close the trap door on the grass catcher shoot.
- Aerate grass and rake in compost.
Submitting your form:
You can submit your pledge form in person at City Hall or by mail.
City of Olympia, Public Works Department
The Water Wise Garden
P.O. Box 1967
Olympia, WA 98507-1967
Contact WATER WISE Staff:
- Water Conservation Program Office, 360.753.8271
- Email: email@example.com