What we offer
OPD is accepting applications for new (first time issued), renewal and replacement CPLs by appointment, for City of Olympia residents only.
- You must be at least 21 years old
- You must be a US citizen or be a permanent resident alien
- You must reside in the City of Olympia
- You must have picture ID (a Washington State Driver's License or ID card is preferred)
- For a complete list of requirements see RCW 9.41.070
- Original CPL: $50.25
- Renewal: $33
- Late Renewal: $43 (within 90 days of expiration)
- Replacement: $11 (for lost or damaged permit)
- Prices include lamination
How to get a new CPL
- Complete the Concealed Pistol License Application (prior to your appointment).
- Call 360.753.8300 during business hours to make an appointment to submit your application and be fingerprinted. Appointments are available Tuesdays and Thursday and take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Bring your driver’s license or other government issued identification and a credit or debit card to your appointment. Cash or checks are not accepted.
- If approved, your CPL will be completed within 30 days from your appointment date.
- You should arrive at your appointment time. If you arrive early please wait outside or in your vehicle. You will not be able to wait in the lobby.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment (especially if you are ill), or if you think you may be late, please call 360.753.8300. Depending on staffing and other scheduled appointments, your appointment may need to be rescheduled.
- If you arrive for your appointment and are showing visible signs of illness you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- Appointments are for one person, and we ask that only the person requiring fingerprints attend the appointment.
- If you have any open wounds, casts, or splints on your hands or wrists, your fingerprint appointment will have to be rescheduled.
- Masks are required and should be on before you enter the lobby. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided. The only exception is for medical reasons.
- Staff will be using COVID screening protocols that will include asking questions about exposure to the virus and taking a temperature reading.
How to renew or replace your CPL
Renewals can be issued within 90 days before or after the expiration date. It can be done in-person or by mail.
Important: If you mail your application to us and are not a City of Olympia resident it will be returned to you.
Bring your completed Concealed Pistol License Application to the OPD lobby between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will also need to bring your WA state identification card/drivers license, current CPL and credit/debit card with you.
Mail in the completed application, a copy of your WA state identification card/drivers license and current CPL, and a check to the mailing address below.
Out-of-state military renewals
Members of the armed forces who cannot renew their license in-person because of their out-of-state assignment may renew via mail/email (within 90 days of expiry). To do so:
- Complete the Concealed Pistol License Application
- Scan or copy both your ID and military orders and return to OPD via mail or email
- Mail your fee to the address below
- Note: A license renewed under this subsection takes effect on the expiration date of the prior license and is valid for a period of one year.
Olympia Police Department - CPL Renewal
P.O. Box 1967
Olympia, WA 98507-1967
Contact us at 360.753.8300 or OPDFirearm@ci.olympia.wa.us