Sunrise Park Off-Leash Dog Area
DOG PARK TO CLOSE PERMANENTLY MAY 31
While a replacement site has not yet been secured, staff is continuing to pursue all options to find a new location. Removal of the fencing around the Sunrise Park off-leash dog area will begin on June 1, 2013. The fencing materials will be re-used on a future project. More information.
The City of Olympia opened its first off-leash dog area on October 15, 2010.
Sunrise Park, 505 Bing Street NW
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM Thursday-Saturday
Closed Sunday - Wednesday
- 6’ chain link fenced enclosure
- separate areas for small and large dogs
- dog/human drinking fountains
- an area for hosing off dogs
- picnic tables
- interior paths
- Entry to the off-leash area is at the risk of dog owners, handlers and guests. Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injury or damage caused by their dogs.
- Maximum of two dogs per adult allowed in the off-leash area.
- Dogs must be healthy, wear a collar with ID, have a current dog license, and should have current immunizations. Under NO circumstances may an owner bring a sick dog into the park (severe runny nose/eyes, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.)
- No dogs under the age of four months or female dogs in heat are allowed.
- No bicycles, skateboards, or scooters are allowed.
- Children under 14 shall not be permitted in the off-leash area without an adult. All children must be supervised and in view while in the off-leash area.
- Unleash dogs in the designated area only. Carry a leash at all times for each dog brought into the off-leash area. Ensure dogs are back on-leash when leaving the off-leash area.
- Clean up after dogs by sealing feces in a plastic bag and disposing of it in a designated trash receptacle.
- Keep dogs in view and under verbal command at all times.
- To prevent fights, no food or toys are allowed.
- Dogs that exhibit overly aggressive or threatening behaviors must be leashed and removed immediately.
- Fill any holes dug by dogs prior to leaving.
- Control excessive barking and other unwanted or destructive behaviors.