Education and Restoration
The Park Stewardship Program is designed to connect individuals with nature through volunteering, safe and healthy parks, and education.
The program is run by the City Park Ranger, who works in cooperation with the Olympia Police Department to patrol the City of Olympia Parks and educate the public about park code in order to make our parks safe and healthy for the community.
Contact Olympia Park Ranger, Sylvana Niehuser at 360.753.8365 or email@example.com
Come learn about our natural environment in an 'outdoor classroom' at one of Olympia's parks, home to a wide variety of natural and cultural resources.
Upcoming Environmental Education Events
Resources for Educators
Allison Springs Eagles and Kayaks -CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER (check back soon for new date)
Ages: 12 and up
Join us on our 3rd annual Allison Springs Eagles and Kayaks tour at Mud Bay with Stream Team and the City of Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation! Experts will guide the tour as we explore Eld Inlet and observe the magnificient Eagles. More information and registration is available online or by calling 360.753.8380.
Coming summer of 2014....
- Junior Ranger Adventures - Calling all nature loving kids! Would you like to earn your Junior Ranger badge and explore your parks with a Park Ranger? Learn about wildlife and stewardship through this fun 1/2 day program.
- Backyard Campout - Celebrate National Backyard Campout at Priest Point Park. Learn camping basics, how to "Leave No Trace" and enjoy activities for the whole family.
- Ellis Cove Backpack Campout - Designed to teach basic backpacking skills, stewardship and have some fun sleeping under the stars at Priest Point Park.
- Kids Canopy Climb - Hey Kids! Want to climb high into a tree and experience what it is like to hang out in the canopy? This adventure might be for you. Experienced arborists will help teach kids how to tree climb, learn about the importance of tree canopies and forest habitats.
If you are an educator who is looking for an opportunity to take advantage of the "outdoor classroom" please contact Park Ranger, Sylvana Niehuser at 360.753.8365 or by email. With 40 different parks, trails and open spaces in Olympia, many located within walking distance to nearby schools, we can help you find the best park that fits your needs.
Local schools and the parks that are nearby:
- Centennial Elementary and McKenny Elementary - LBA
- Garfield Elementary - Woodruff, Garfield Nature Trail and Sunrise Park
- Hansen Elementary - Grass Lake Nature Park, Cooper Crest Open Space and Burri Park
- LP Brown Elementary - Burri Park
- Lincoln Elementary - Stevens Field
- Madison Elementary - Madison Scenic Park and Lions Park
- McLane Elementary - Grass Lake Nature Park
- Pioneer Elementary - Watershed and Trillium Park
- Roosevelt Elementary - Mission Creek Nature Park
- Jefferson Middle School - Grass Lake Nature Park, Sunrise Park and Yauger
- Marshall Middle School - Grass Lake Nature Park, Cooper Crest Open Space and Burri Park
- Reeves Middle School - Priest Point Park
- Washington Middle School - LBA and Watershed Park
- Avanti High School - Madison Scenic Park
- Capital High School - Grass Lake Nature Park, Sunrise Park and Yauger
- Olympia High School - Watershed and Trillium Park
For individual park information visit the Parks & Trails web page or call 360.753.8365 for assistance.
Junior Ranger Program
Hey Kids! Do you want to become a Junior Park Ranger for the City of Olympia? It's Easy!
1. Download and print your Junior Park Ranger Activity Guide or you can pick up a guide at The Olympia Center, 222 Columbia St NW.
2. Complete the activities in the guide.
3. Come to an Olympia Parks volunteer event or environmental education event (above) and show your completed activity guide to Ranger Sylvana to receive your badge.
Olympia Parks, Arts and Recreation has many volunteer opportunities. Whether it's joining a work party to help spruce up a neighborhood park, or helping with a recreation program or camp, you can make a real difference in your community. Learn more on our Parks, Arts & Recreation Vounteering page.