Do I Need a Permit?

Permits are required in order to ensure projects meet the requirements for health, safety and structural soundness as set forth in National Building Codes, Washington State Amendments, and the Olympia Municipal Code.

Does Your Project Include?

  • Building Construction
  • Building Alterations or Repairs
  • Building Demolition 
  • Changing the Use of a Building
  • Electrical Work
  • Excavation or Fill
  • Felling More Than 6 Trees
  • Fire Systems
  • Foundation Repair or Replacement
  • Furnace, Hot Water or Gas Appliance
  • In-ground Fuel Tanks
  • Manufactured Home Installation
  • Moving a Building
  • Plumbing
  • Reroofing
  • Siding Repair or Replacement
  • Sign Installation
  • Temporary Power
  • Temporary Signs and Banners
  • Window Replacement
  • Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts
  • Work in the City Right of Way
  • Yard Sprinkler Systems

>>YES: Continue to Permits & Inspections

The following projects do not usually require permits. Click for details.

Used as a storage or tool shed, playhouse or similar use, provided the floor does not exceed 200 square feet (for residential) or 120 square feet (for commercial) and is detached at least 6 feet from the next structure.

Not over 7 feet high. Deer fence type may be 8 feet high.  View - Fences Hedges Walls and Site Perimeter Grading for additional information.

Not over 5 feet, 9 inches high

Not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting loads caused by backfilling of soil, proximity of foundations, parking, driveways or hydrostatic pressures.

Supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

Includes unroofed platforms, decks, porches, walks and driveways. Not over 30 inches, not attached, above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.

Includes similar finish work.

Supported by an exterior wall when projecting not more than 54 inches.

Prefabricated pools in which the pool walls are entirely above adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.

Replacement of glass only. Replacement of the entire window does require a permit.


Note that even if a permit is not required, your project must meet all code requirements and development standards. View our Construction Codes page for details.

Need Help?

Contact the Permit Center at 360.753.8314 or