Building Permits & Inspections

Not sure if you need a permit? Check our Do I Need a Permit page.

Permit Application

Fee Schedules

Submitting Your Application

Permit applications must be submitted in person at the Permit Center:

Olympia City Hall, 2nd Floor
601 4th Avenue E, Olympia, WA 98501
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Commercial project? Submit your plans electronically using our FTP site.

How Long Does it Take?

Some simple permits can be issued the same day. Other permits can take up to:

  • Single Family - 2 weeks
  • Commercial Tenant Improvement - 3 to 4 weeks
  • New Commercial - 60 to 90 days


Permit fees are due when the permit is issued. Projects requiring Plan Review are subject to a Plan Review fee of 65% of the permit fee that is due when you submit your application.

Fees of any amount may be paid by cash or check. Credit cards may only be used for fees totaling less than $2000.


When you are ready for an inspection, you must schedule it online with CPDOnline  

  • Please schedule inspections within the next five (5) business days. This reduces the need for cancelations and keeps inspections on schedule.

    You will need to set up a portal account using your specific access code provided. Once this code is entered, you will select the permit needing an inspection. Can't find your access code? Call us at 360.753.8314.

  • The online system allows you to choose AM or PM. If you need a more exact timeframe, please call 360.753.8314 at 8:00 a.m. on the morning of your inspection.
  • You can view your scheduled inspections and get status updates on CPDOnline.

Residential Setback Requirements

When you build a structure, you need to position your building on your lot so that it meets City setback requirements. Setbacks are intended to allow sufficient space between buildings for fire protection, to allow adequate yards, and to avoid nuisances for neighbors.

Working in the City Right-of-Way

The City requires bond and insurance information before a permit can be issued for work in the City Right-of-Way (ROW).

Civil Engineering

The City requires various legal forms for work associated with the construction of utilities and Right-of-Way (ROW) during the civil engineering permit process.

Need Help?

Contact the Permit Center at 360.753.8314 or