Quarterly or Annual B&O Tax Report
Address and B&O Filing Information
Please note our address and B&O tax return filing requirements have changed. View the Address and B&O Filing page for more information.
B & O Tax Changes
In order to comply with RCW 35.102.130, the City of Olympia has enacted several changes to its B&O tax code. These changes are effective January 1, 2008 for first quarter returns due April 30, 2008 and 2008 annual returns due January 31, 2009.
Allocation. Gross income derived from all activities other than those taxed as service shall be allocated to the location where the activity takes place. For retail and wholesale classifications, this means the point of delivery of the item(s) sold.
Apportionment. Gross income derived from activities taxed as services shall be apportioned to a city by multiplying apportionable income by a fraction, the numerator of which is the payroll factor plus the service-income factor and the denominator of which is two. This may seem complicated, but this is how the State law concerning municipal B&O tax was written.
Here are some forms and instructions to help implement this new portion of our tax code.
B & O Tax Forms
|Various Form Formats|
If you are using a Macintosh and having problems opening a document, these Mac troubleshooting steps may help.
The City of Olympia 's Business and Occupation Tax is due and payable quarterly, on the same date as the State of Washington 's Revenue Department Tax return. This tax report will be mailed to you once you license your business. You can also download a blank tax report form from this page.
- If your TOTAL GROSS income is less than $5,000 for the quarter, or $20,000 per year, simply enter -0- for tax due and return the form.
- If income is in excess of the above amounts, enter your gross revenue in Column 2 - opposite the applicable business classification (see below).
- Allowable tax deductions, which must be itemized as to type in the detail of Column 3 - TAX DEDUCTIONS, are then entered in Column 3.
- Column 3 is subtracted from Column 2 and the total entered in Column 4, Taxable Amount.
- Multiply this figure by the rate shown and enter in Column 6.
|Extracting||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Manufacturing||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Wholesaling||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Retailing||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Retail Service||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Printing and Publishing||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Public Road Construction (included in retailing)||.001 (1/10 of 1%)|
|Service and Other Activities||.002 (2/10 of 1%)|
Address: Olympia City Hall | 601 4th Avenue E.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday