Do I Need a Business License?
The City of Olympia requires all businesses located within the city limits, and/or who engage in business in Olympia, to be licensed with the city, according to Chapter 5.02 of the Olympia Municipal Code. This is in addition to any required State of Washington licenses.
Many people do not recognize home based businesses as requiring a business license, review some common occupations (product consultants, internet operation, lessons, in-home childcare center and hobbies) to find out why they require a license.
City of Olympia Ordinance 6851 imposes a moratorium prohibiting the licensing and permitting of new collective gardens as defined in state law (Chapter 69.51a RCW). The moratorium also prohibits the licensing and permitting of all other marijuana-related business activities and land use.
How Do I Get a New License?
Apply For a Business License.The City of Olympia has partnered with the Washington State Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS). You will apply for a City of Olympia business license when applying with the State for your business license.
- I Do Not Have a Business License - Apply for a Washington State Business License and add the City of Olympia business. Learn more about filing a Business License Application.
- I Already Have a Business License - Add the City of Olympia business license using the Business Licensing Service. Learn more about City of Olympia licensing.
Note: After logging in, on the "Purpose of Application" screen, only check the "Add State and/or City License to Existing Location" box to eliminate unnecessary screens.
Is This a Home-Based Business?
A business owner intending to conduct business from a residence located within the City must provide proof of residency within the City and sign an acknowledgement of compliance with the Home Occupation Standards listed in Olympia Municipal Code 18.04.060. The proof of residency and acknowledgement must be filed directly with the City separate from the Business License Application submitted to the Business Licensing Service, and must be received by the City before the business license application can be approved.
Should you have questions regarding the Home Occupation Standards, please contact the Community Planning and Development Department, Olympia City Hall, 601 4th Avenue E; phone 360.753.8314; fax 360.753.8087; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Olympia Home Based Occupation/Business Addendum can be downloaded or obtained from the Business License section in City Hall at 601 4th Avenue E. The completed addendum can be returned to:
City of Olympia
Tax and License
PO Box 2009
Olympia, WA 98507-2009
Do I Need an Occupational or Temporary Permit?
Some occupations require an additional Occupational Permit prior to issuance of a business license per Olympia Municipal Code, Chapter 5.10. See if your business needs an occupational permit.
Some businesses or activities that are temporary, seasonal or mobile may be required to obtain a Temporary Use Permit per Olympia Municipal Code, Chapter 18.06.060 (Section Z) and Chapter 18.06.040 (Section 12).
After your business license application and any additional requirements are approved by the City, you will receive a business license from the state, showing your city business license.
Taxes and License Renewal
The City will mail your Business and Occupational tax return approximately 30 days prior to its due date. It must be completed and returned even if no tax is due. Visit our Business and Occupational taxes page to learn more about the B & O requirements.
Business License Renewal
The State of Washington Department of Revenue will send out your renewal notice six weeks before its expiration date. Visit our Business License-Renewal page to learn more.
City of Olympia Contact Information
- Location: Olympia City Hall 601 4th Ave E
- Mailing Address: City of Olympia, Tax and License, PO Box 2009, Olympia, WA 98507-2009
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., M-F
- Phone: 360.753.8327
- Email: email@example.com
State of Washington Department of Revenue Contact Information
- Location (Olympia Office): 6500 Linderson Way SW, Suite 102 Tumwater, WA 98501
- Mailing Address: Business Licensing Service, Department of Revenue, PO Box 9034, Olympia, WA 98507-9034
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., M-F
- Phone: 1-800-451-7985
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renew Business License - Learn about renewing your business license.
- Business and Occupation (B&O) Taxes - Learn about B&O taxes and find forms for tax returns.
- Utility Tax Returns - Forms for filing utility tax returns.
- Start a Business - Helpful information provided by Washington State Department of Revenue
- Learn more about the partnership with Washington State Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service
- Washington State Department of Revenue - Business & Professional Licensing website