Olympia Police Department LGBTQ Community Liaison
The Olympia Police Department LGBTQ Community Liaison provides outreach to the LGBTQ citizens of Olympia. The position promotes public safety projects and programs aimed at establishing a closer, more effective dialogue between the police and the LGBTQ community.
Sgt. Emerson is available to meet with groups and individuals who are interested in improving safety for LGBTQ citizens, as well as building better relationships between the LGBTQ community and the Olympia Police Department. She is also a resource to the public about hate crimes.
- Working closely with the LGBTQ community on a variety of community related events and issues
- Attending the City’s Committee on Diversity & Equity Meetings
- Coordinating OPD participation in LGBTQ and PRIDE related events throughout the region
- Responding to all "OPD SAFE OLYMPIA " website requests and inquiries
- Monitoring all LGBTQ related crime statistics and responses
About Sgt. Emerson
Sgt. Ren Emerson was appointed as the first female LGBTQ Liaison for the department in December of 2014. Sgt. Emerson's experience in corrections combined with her ability to communicate across cultural boundaries make her an excellent selection for the position. In this role, she will seek to improve law enforcement service to the LGBTQ community while promoting the ideals of inclusion, respect, dialogue, and cooperation between the police and the community. Her goals are threefold: to educate the police, to educate the community, and to build trust. Sgt. Emerson will work in partnership with other City agencies, the LGBTQ community, and community-based organizations to foster positive relationships with the law enforcement community.
Sergeant Ren Emerson