In 2013, a majority of voters in both Olympia and Lacey approved a ban on consumer fireworks (OMC 9.48.160). This means that fireworks may not be sold or discharged in either community.
Novelty devices such as snakes, glowworms, and party poppers are permitted; however sparklers and all other types of fireworks are not.
Fireworks purchased elsewhere, such as tribal stands or fireworks sales booths in other communities, may not be used in Olympia or Lacey.
Disposing of Unused Fireworks
To safely dispose of unused fireworks:
- Thoroughly soak them overnight in a bucket or tub of water, then drain.
- Place the soaked fireworks in a heavy duty trash bag, and tightly seal.
- Place the bag in your garbage container for pick-up.
Public Fireworks Displays
Residents are encouraged to enjoy one of these great area public fireworks displays:
- Lacey Fireworks Spectacular & Freedom Concert- July 3
Rainier Vista Community Park
Fireworks start around 10:15pm
Info at www.ci.lacey.wa.us/fireworks
- Tumwater Artesian Festival & Fireworks Display - July 4
Tumwater Valley Golf Course
Gates open at 6:00pm, fireworks start around 10:00pm
- Lakefair Grand Finale Fireworks - July 17
Capitol Lake/Heritage Park, Downtown Olympia
Fireworks start around 10:00pm