Frequently Asked Questions about DPR

What is Domestic Partnership Registration?

The City of Olympia's Domestic Partnership Registration program (Olympia Municipal Code 2.82) is a means by which unmarried couples in committed on-going family relationships may document their relationships. This recognizes the diversity of family configurations, including lesbian, gay and unmarried heterosexual couples (and their children), and unmarried elderly partners.

Domestic Partnership Registration is voluntary and does not create any new or different legal rights or responsibilities, or any contractual relationships or obligations between the registrants.

back to top

Do partners have to be residents of the City of Olympia to register?

No. The City of Olympia's Domestic Partnership Registration program is open to all persons who wish to participate, regardless of where they live.

back to top

Is Domestic Partnership Registration confidential?

No. When an application for Domestic Partnership Registration is filed with the City Clerk's Office, it becomes a public record pursuant to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), Section 42.56. However, participants have the option to not formally file the registration application with the City Clerk's Office and retain the certificate for their own records.

For questions on confidentiality issues, contact the Olympia City Clerk's Office by telephone, 360.753.8325, or by email.

back to top

How do we register as domestic partners?

Obtain a Domestic Partnership Registration application form from the City Clerk's Office, City Hall, 601 4th Avenue East, Olympia, WA 98501, or download the application (need Adobe Acrobat). To have an application form mailed to you, call the City Clerk's Office at 360.753.8325. Complete the name and address information in a legible manner. Both partners must sign the application form in the presence of a Notary Public.

Take or mail the notarized application form, together with a $25 registration fee, to the City Clerk's Office, City Hall, 601 4th Avenue East, Olympia, WA 98501.

Upon receipt of your application form and fee payment, the City Clerk will mail to you, at the address listed on your application form, a certificate of registration.

back to top

What if we wish to terminate our Domestic Partnership Registration?

To terminate a Domestic Partnership Registration, obtain a Domestic Partnership Registration termination form from the City Clerk's office (address and phone number above) or download the form. At least one partner must sign the termination form and have the signature notarized. Signature and notarization of signature for the second partner is optional.

Mail or bring the completed termination form to the City Clerk's Office.

For further information about Domestic Partnership Registration, call the Olympia City Clerk's Office at 360.753.8325.

back to top