The Olympia Heritage Commission (OHC) was established in 1983 to advise the City Council on matters related to the recognition, enhancement and continued use of buildings, sites, districts and objects of historical significance within the City and to serve as the City's primary resource in matters of historic preservation.
The Heritage Commission meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month, at 6:30 p.m., in Olympia City Hall Room 207, 601 4th Avenue East (unless otherwise noted below).
View 2019 Meeting Dates
- January 23
- February 4
- March 27
- April 24
- May 22
- June 26
- July 24
- August 28
- September 25
- October 23
Get additional meeting details, agendas and minutes on our online meeting calendar.
Membership Criteria & Appointment Information
- Kat Kelly Chair - term ends 2021
- Audrey Henley - term ends 2021
- Holly Davies - term ends 2020
- Maurice Major - term ends 2020
- Ben Helle - term ends 2020
- Garner Miller - term ends 2022
- Rachel Newmann - term ends 2020
- Sheila Swalling - term ends 2021
- Gary Stedman - term ends 2022
- Andrea Pareigis - term ends 2022
- Susan Rohrer - term ends 2022
- Eleven members, of which a majority must reside in the City of Olympia or Olympia's Urban Growth Area.
- Must include at least four professionals from fields such as architecture, historic preservation, anthropology, history and law who have experience in identifying, evaluating and protecting historic places. Above indicates professional appointment.
- Term: 3 years, ends March 31
- Appointed by: Olympia City Council
Heritage Review Committee
Marketing, Outreach, Recruitment and Education
Evaluates and makes recommendations on building permit, Olympia Heritage Register and tax incentive applications.
ArCH, Policy, Ordinance and Guidance
Engages in outreach and marketing, partnerships and integration with regional preservation and heritage organizations and advocacy groups. Contributes to programs and activities to enhance historic Downtown Olympia.
Survey and Designation
Reviews and recommends changes to City code and policy and provides public guidance on the protection of historic properties. Coordinates with the City Arts Commission on Arts, Cultures and Heritage Initiatives.
Promotes and oversees Olympia Heritage Register and the protection of cultural resources.
Contact Staff Liaison, Marygrace Goddu, at 360.753.8031 or email@example.com