The Olympia Heritage Commission (OHC) was established in 1983 to advise the City Council on matters related to the recognition, enhancement and continued use of buildings, sites, districts and objects of historical significance within the City and to serve as the City's primary resource in matters of historic preservation.
The Heritage Commission meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month, at 6:30 p.m., in Olympia City Hall Room 207, 601 4th Avenue East (unless otherwise noted below).
View 2016 Meeting Dates
- January 27
- No February meeting
- March 23
- April 27
- May 25
- June 22
- No July meeting
- August 24
- September 28
- October 26
- November 30 (5th Wednesday in November)
- No December meeting
Get additional meeting details, agendas, and minutes on our online meeting calendar.
Membership Criteria & Appointment Information
- Cheryl Selby, City Council Liaison
- Holly Davies, Chair - term ends 2017
- Dwayne Harkness, Vice-Chair - term ends 2019
- Tamara Hayes - term ends 2017
- Ben Helle - term ends 2017
- Kat Kelly - term ends 2018
- Patricia McLain - term ends 2018
- Garner Miller - term ends 2019
- Rachel Newmann - term ends 2017
- Sheila Swalling - term ends 2018
- Nick Vann - term ends 2019
- Vacant - term ends 2018
- Eleven members, of which a majority must reside in the City of Olympia or Olympia's Urban Growth Area.
- Must include at least four professionals from fields such as architecture, historic preservation, anthropology, history, and law who have experience in identifying, evaluating and protecting historic places. * above indicates professional appointment.
- Term: 3 years, ends March 31
- Appointed by: Olympia City Council
Heritage Review Committee
Coordinates Heritage Commission involvement in Downtown planning and improvement projects.
Evaluates and makes recommendations on building permit, Olympia Heritage Register, and tax incentive applications.
Organizes public programs like annual Historic Preservation Month activities in May.
Contact Staff Liaison, Michelle Sadlier, at 360.753.8031 or email@example.com