The Olympia Heritage Commission (OHC) was established in 1983 to advise the City Council on matters related to the recognition, enhancement and continued use of buildings, sites, districts and objects of historical significance within the City and to serve as the City's primary resource in matters of historic preservation.
The Heritage Commission meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month, at 6:30 p.m., in Olympia City Hall Room 207, 601 4th Avenue East (unless otherwise noted below).
View 2017 Meeting Dates
- January 25
- No February meeting
- March 22
- April 26
- May 24
- June 28
- No July meeting
- August 23
- September 27
- October 25
- November 29 (5th Wednesday in November)
- No December meeting
Get additional meeting details, agendas, and minutes on our online meeting calendar.
Membership Criteria & Appointment Information
- Cheryl Selby, City Council Liaison
- Stephen Austin - term ends 2018
- Holly Davies, Chair - term ends 2020
- Dwayne Harkness, Vice-Chair - term ends 2019
- Tamara Hayes - term ends 2020
- Ben Helle - term ends 2020
- Kat Kelly - term ends 2018
- Garner Miller - term ends 2019
- Rachel Newmann - term ends 2020
- Suzanna Pratt - term ends 2018
- Sheila Swalling - term ends 2018
- Nick Vann - term ends 2019
- Eleven members, of which a majority must reside in the City of Olympia or Olympia's Urban Growth Area.
- Must include at least four professionals from fields such as architecture, historic preservation, anthropology, history, and law who have experience in identifying, evaluating and protecting historic places. * above indicates professional appointment.
- Term: 3 years, ends March 31
- Appointed by: Olympia City Council
Heritage Review Committee
Coordinates Heritage Commission involvement in Downtown planning and improvement projects.
Evaluates and makes recommendations on building permit, Olympia Heritage Register, and tax incentive applications.
Organizes public programs like annual Historic Preservation Month activities in May.
Contact Staff Liaison, Michelle Sadlier, at 360.753.8031 or firstname.lastname@example.org