Living and Parking Downtown
Most neighborhoods in and near downtown Olympia have timed or metered on-street parking. If you live in one of these neighborhoods, you may register your personal vehicle for free parking on the street within your residential zone. Residents and visitors must be registered with the City and parked at an allowed space within their zone to avoid receiving a parking citation.
Registered vehicles are not assigned a specific parking spot, nor are residents guaranteed a parking place in front of or immediately near their home. Parking is on a first-come basis. Registration is by vehicle license plate. Some restrictions and program requirements apply.
Read our Residential Parking FAQ for more information.
What Zone Am I In?
Click the colored boxes to the right for a detailed view of each individual zone.
- All unpaid parking tickets issued to the individual and the vehicle must be paid before registration will be accepted.
- Vehicles must be moved at least once every five days.
- You cannot register boats, trailers, campers, buses, and RVs.
- No vehicle which exceeds the size of a parking stall can be registered.
- The program is not for work-related parking.
- You must still park legally. Restricted parking such as parking in a yellow zone or too close to a driveway will result in a citation. Visit the Restricted Parking page for a complete list of infractions.
Where Can I Park?
Registered residents must park within their own zone and at;
Zones 1-3: 1 or 2 Hour timed parking spaces
Zones 4-6: 2 Hour timed parking spaces OR 9 Hour meters
Zones 7 & 8: 9 Hour meters only
Having house guests or construction work done? Call 753.8017. If no one is available to answer your call, please leave a voice message with this basic vehicle information: visitor license plate, make, model, color, and location. Visitor passes can be issued for up to 10 business days.See restrictions
- Zones 2 and 3: Passes are limited to two per month January 1 - April 30.
- 9-hour Meter Areas: Visitors parking at 9-hour meters are not eligible for a pass until the second business day. One business day is needed to process your visitor into our system.
It is important that you give us advance notice of visitors. With early advance notice, Parking Services field staff will have the information they need so that they do not inadvertently issue a ticket to your visitors.
How to Register
Download the registration packet for your zone below. Return it and all required documention by mail or in person using the contact information at the bottom of this page.Required documentation
- Valid driver's license
- Current vehicle registration(s)
- Proof of insurance
- Proof of residency*
- Affidavits - Zones 1-3*
- Fee (if required)
*See registration packet for details
Union / East Campus / East Plum
Fees and Limitations
The first vehicle registered per address is FREE, each additional vehicle is $10. Registration is valid for one year.
Zones 1-3: May register up to 4 vehicles per address.
Zones 5-7: May register only 1 vehicle per resident (maximum of 4 per address).
In Person: Olympia City Hall, Customer Care Counter, 601 4th Avenue E., M-F, 8-5
By Mail: PO Box 1967, Olympia, WA 98507-1967